A number of Youtube viewers are available for Joomla, but all the ones I checked have the same problem. They install the entire Youtube video player and start downloading the video before the page is fully loading, causing a long hang for end users. This small script instead displays a picture of the video and puts a play button over its top. The Youtube player and video itself are not loaded until the user clicks on the link. Here is a demo.
When I scripted this, my front page had four Youtube videos on it. I tried installing half a dozen youtube players from JED, and all of them, took at least 8 seconds to load.
Download the zipfile from the download section and install it into Joomla. Enable the plugin from the plugin manager. There are no options required.
Note:n Since the original release, Youtube has fixed the issue with full-screen display in HTML5, so yTube is no longer included in the yView lightbox.
- 3/20/2016: Major Update Release:
- Added options:
- Player can now be enabled on featured/blog pages separately from articles
- Player default size can be be different on featured/blog pages than on articles
- ImageMack is used by default for file compression if available, but PHP's built-0in compression can be selected instead, if desired.
- A custom CSS stylesheet for the player can be specified, and the default stylesheet disabled.
- Joomla Update functionality is implemented.
- the player code is templated for customization.
- Code is annotated and de-obfuscated. Improved compatibility with WAMP on Windows with virtual hosts.
- Video thumbnails are now cached on the local server. The best quality thumbnail is selected automatically.